[PD-dev] pd-double: how to selectively build external libs for development?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 01:37:37 CEST 2011

Tried all day to build some of pd-double in pd-svn, but what worked
yesterday stopped working today, after svn update. Well update, it was
a fresh checkout for compelling reasons.

Here is an updated version of how to build things selectively:

- clone pd-double.git ("pd-double')
- checkout pure-data.svn ("pd-svn")
- replace sources in pd-svn/pd/ with the sources from pd-double
- from within pd-svn/pd/, build pd with:
- ./autogen.sh
- ./configure --prefix=/my/path/to/pd-svn/pd/
- make install
- from within pd-svn/externals, selectively build a lib, like so:
      make DESTDIR=/my/path/to/pd-svn/pd/ creb_clean creb creb_install
- the external lib will be installed in pd-svn/pd/extra/
- do not try to update pd-svn/pd/ !

This builds all the stuff and installs into the appropriate places
within pd-svn/pd/, with pd in pd-svn/pd/bin/. The extra's and creb are
in pd-svn/pd/extra/. But now the frustration: creb is not visible in
the help browser, and it's objects can not even be loaded with
namespaces, like [creb/blosc~]. I'm 100 % sure that I've instantiated
[creb/blosc~] and other creb objects yesterday in a similar dev setup.

As a last resort, I've built (almost) the whole of Pd-extended from
pd-svn/packages/darwin_app/, just to see double precision
[creb/blosc~] loading once more. But for development, this does not
work since all the cleaning and compilation is done for all libs
everytime, it takes over 10 minutes to build. I really need the
selective approach to work.

How come pd sees all the stuff in it's extra dir, except creb?

Katja