[PD-dev] pd-double: how to selectively build external libs for development?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:56:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> I think skipping 'make install' alltogether and just running things directly
> is much easier for dev work.  Something like this:
>
> cd pd-double/pd
> ./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-double-precision && make
> cd extra
> ln -s ../../externals/creb
> cd ..
> ./src/pd
>
> Now you have a way to run pd-double's Pd using the creb you are working on.
>  Then to build creb after mods, just do:
>
> cd pd-double/externals
> make creb

Hi Hans,

Regarding a 'local build', there is some difference in the two build
systems for vanilla Pd (old/new) and the new build system is causing
me troubles, let me try to explain.

With the old build system, if you did make without install, it would
create a local dir 'bin/' and copy executables pd, pd-watchdog,
pdreceive and pdsend into it. The directory structure of the local
build was very similar to the 'Resources' dir in a Pd or Pd-extended
app on OSX. If you put an externals dir in 'extra/', Pd would see that
dir. I've checked that this is also the case for double precision pd
which I built with the old build system (before we had pd-double git).
I can just copy a double precision creb dir with executables into
'extra/', see creb in the help browser, and instantiate creb objects
(with namespace, that is).

With the new build system instead, if you do not install, the
executables pd, pd-watchdog, pdreceive and pdsend remain in the 'src/'
dir. You can start pd from there, but it won't find it's extra's. I've
tried several approaches to make it look like a local install
(manually creating a 'bin/' with pd executables, alternatively
./configure --prefix=/my/path/to/pd-svn/pd/). This helps - to a
certain extent. The regular extra's that come with vanilla Pd are
found. But if you add an external lib dir... no fun.

The old build system was much more convenient for local test builds.
We've removed it from pd-double but I will try it in my hacked pd-svn
tomorrow, to see if things work better.

Katja