[PD-dev] pd-double: how to selectively build external libs for development?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Oct 20 18:50:13 CEST 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:32 AM, katja wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> > wrote:
>
>> AH, right, you need to include a symlink to src/ called bin/ then it
>> should all work.  I do this a lot, so I know it works once it setup.
>> But I might not always remember the details on setting it up:  So
>> like
>> this:
>>
>> cd pd-double/pd
>> ln -s src bin
>

> Thanks, Hans. Here is the source of all confusion: once a local
> install is done in pd-double/ with the new build system, external dirs
> should go in pd-double/lib/pd/extra/, not pd-double/extra/. I
> overlooked this. Moreover, this path remains until
> pd-double/lib/pd/extra/ is deleted, no matter if you make clean and
> build without install. So this is what nagged me a couple of days.

The lib/pd/extra part comes from 'make install'.  The core idea I"ve
been working with for my dev setup is using symlinks to make built-in-
place look like the installed layout.

> Would be nice to have such details documented. Once I'll be settled on
> the best way to develop externals against pd-double, I'll document it
> on puredata.info anyway.

That would be awesome, the more docs the better.  I do what I can, but
I don't think its enough :)

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli