[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Oct 21 18:33:15 CEST 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 5:49 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> Hi Hans
>
> I noticed a significant difference between Pd-extended-0.43 and
> Pd-vanilla-0.43 appearance. Symbol- and Numberboxes are 2 px higher in
> Extended than in Vanilla. This is especially problematic in cases
> where
> a GOP-patch in Vanilla was created so that the number/symbol box
> perfectly fits in. The same GOP-abstraction in Pd-extended does not
> show
> the number/symbol box at all, because it is overlapping the GOP area
> of
> the abstraction.

I measured a default number box on Pd-extended 0.42.5 and 0.43.  They
both were 21x39 pixels at 12 point font size.  I don't know the
details of the current state of this stuff in vanilla, but in Pd-
extended, these sizes have been consistent across platform and version
since 0.41 at least.

> I also noticed that Pd-extended-0.43 on OS X does not use anti-aliased
> fonts, although it is (I think) using Tcl/Tk 8.5, while Pd-
> vanilla-0.43
> does use anti-aliased fonts.
>
> On Ubuntu both, Pd-extended and Pd-vanilla 0.43, do use anti-aliased
> fonts.

That's an odd bug I've never seen.  Pd-extended on Mac OS X has had
anti-aliased fonts for a long time (0.40?) and it does on every Mac
I've seen it on.  Can you post a screenshot?

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White