[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Oct 21 23:15:55 CEST 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 12:33 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Oct 21, 2011, at 5:49 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hans
>>>
>>> I noticed a significant difference between Pd-extended-0.43 and
>>> Pd-vanilla-0.43 appearance. Symbol- and Numberboxes are 2 px
>>> higher in
>>> Extended than in Vanilla. This is especially problematic in cases
>>> where
>>> a GOP-patch in Vanilla was created so that the number/symbol box
>>> perfectly fits in. The same GOP-abstraction in Pd-extended does not
>>> show
>>> the number/symbol box at all, because it is overlapping the GOP area
>>> of
>>> the abstraction.
>>
>> I measured a default number box on Pd-extended 0.42.5 and 0.43.  They
>> both were 21x39 pixels at 12 point font size.  I don't know the
>> details of the current state of this stuff in vanilla, but in Pd-
>> extended, these sizes have been consistent across platform and
>> version
>> since 0.41 at least.
>
> I totally believe you that Pd-extended was consistent to itself since
> 0.41. Still, the difference renders certain patches/abstractions
> somehow
> unportable between the two (extended and vanilla). What do you think
> would be the best way to deal with that?

IMHO, it would be two things:

- make Pd vanilla do what Pd-extended does in terms of box sizing

- or, even better, make pd send pd messages to pd-gui instead of Tcl,
and move GUI size, mouse, click, etc handling to pd-gui.  Then we get
zoomable GUIs and all sorts of other good things.  Big project tho

>>> I also noticed that Pd-extended-0.43 on OS X does not use anti-
>>> aliased
>>> fonts, although it is (I think) using Tcl/Tk 8.5, while Pd-
>>> vanilla-0.43
>>> does use anti-aliased fonts.
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu both, Pd-extended and Pd-vanilla 0.43, do use anti-aliased
>>> fonts.
>>

>> That's an odd bug I've never seen.  Pd-extended on Mac OS X has had
>> anti-aliased fonts for a long time (0.40?) and it does on every Mac
>> I've seen it on.  Can you post a screenshot?
>
> Probably it's a very recent regression bug. The oldest autobuild of
> Pd-extended-0.43 I tested was probably a week old. Actually, on all
> (probably 5 different?) OS X machines I tested the new builds on the
> fonts were aliased. But it could well be, that all the machines were
> 10.6.X (don't know if that matters).
>
> Attached two screenshots taken from the same machine, one from
> Pd-extended0-42.5 and one from Pd-extended-0.43.1
>
> Roman
>
> <aliased.png><anti-aliased.png>

Ah, I see.  It turns out that 0.43 is actually correct.  If you
compare the same text in a native Mac OS X program like TextEdit, use
plain text mode, and make sure its using Monaco for the font.  Then
you'll see that 0.43 is actually the same as TextEdit, while in 0.42,
the font is slightly smaller than it should be, therefore looking
fuzzy or anti-aliases.  Monaco is a font that is not anti-aliased at
many sizes.