[PD-dev] 'tests' section of pure-data/trunk svn?

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Mon Oct 24 22:10:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 03:26:18PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I've been thinking now that we are starting to get some testing
> infrastructure in place, we need a place to organize them in the pure-
> data SVN.

Have there been developments on this front?  I haven't seen anything in the
patch tracker messages.   It was something I was going to work on, but I
focused on UTF-8 first, then the Return/Control-Return/Escape interface
issues.  The interface issues turned out to be frustrating to work out, and I
haven't gotten to the unit test libraries.

> I propose we add a tests/ section to trunk in SVN next to
> externals/ scripts/ etc.  This section would be for the testing scripts,
> and for any tests that don't specifically below to a library.  Once we
> get a test format sorted out, I think that libraries should include
> their own tests.

Seems sane.

> I propose we use the suffix "-regressiontest.pd" for tests, then we can
> have a script that crawls the whole pure-data SVN and runs the tests in
> place with the libraries they are part of.  (-test.pd is already used a
> lot of places, so a new suffix would be better to avoid confusion).

That's clear, but long.  Other possibilities:

    -unittest.pd
    -t.pd
    .pdt
    .pdtest