[PD-dev] 'tests' section of pure-data/trunk svn?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Oct 24 22:48:36 CEST 2011

On Monday, October 24, 2011 1:10 PM, "Marvin Humphrey"
<marvin at rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 03:26:18PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> > I've been thinking now that we are starting to get some testing
> > infrastructure in place, we need a place to organize them in the pure-
> > data SVN.
>
> Have there been developments on this front?  I haven't seen anything in
> the
> patch tracker messages.   It was something I was going to work on, but I
> focused on UTF-8 first, then the Return/Control-Return/Escape interface
> issues.  The interface issues turned out to be frustrating to work out,
> and I
> haven't gotten to the unit test libraries.

Katja and Fred Jan have put together a template that is looking pretty
good, and I've nailed down the 'load_every_help.py' script so that it
runs every night.  Those are the developments I was talking about, but
there is still much to be done, don't worry there, we would still love
your help :)

Programming the GUI in Pd is indeed quite frustrating and in need of a
major overhaul. Its about the worst place to get started for hacking on
Pd.

> > I propose we add a tests/ section to trunk in SVN next to
> > externals/ scripts/ etc.  This section would be for the testing scripts,
> > and for any tests that don't specifically below to a library.  Once we
> > get a test format sorted out, I think that libraries should include
> > their own tests.
>
> Seems sane.
>
> > I propose we use the suffix "-regressiontest.pd" for tests, then we can
> > have a script that crawls the whole pure-data SVN and runs the tests in
> > place with the libraries they are part of.  (-test.pd is already used a
> > lot of places, so a new suffix would be better to avoid confusion).
>
> That's clear, but long.  Other possibilities:
>
>     -unittest.pd
>     -t.pd
>     .pdt
>     .pdtest
>
> Marvin Humphrey

I could go with -unittest.pd.  I'm not really a fan of the rest.  Adding
new file extensions seems like extra management work.  The tests should
just be regular pd patches, so .pd should work.  And we already have
-help.pd and -meta.pd.