[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:47:11 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 18:36 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Pd vanilla still has different box sizes on different platforms, if I
> remember correctly, therefore the sizes will have to change somewhere.

I made a little test patch and took screenshots [1]. On three operating
systems (Mac OS 10.6.4, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7) I tested
Pd-extended-0.43.1 (from autobuilds) and Pd-0.43.1test4 (from Miller's
site).

The results are contrary to what you are saying. For Pd-0.43.1test4 the
box sizes are consistent across all tested platforms. For
Pd-extended-0.43.1 the number, symbol, message and object boxes are 2 px
less tall on Windows than on the other platforms. Due to this, only on
Windows number and symbol boxes have the same height in Pd-vanilla and
Pd-extended (though message and object boxes are 2px smaller in
Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla).

On the other two platforms, Ubuntu 10.04 and OS X, number and symbol
boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla.

The hsliders, vsliders and cnvs have the exact same dimensions in every
tested combination. Also is the width of number, symbol, message and
object boxes consistent across all tested platforms and flavors.

> I tried to get these changes into vanilla, but I guess Miller didn't
> want them.

Currently, it looks like they are not necessary since the situation
looks good for Pd-vanilla.

> I've already spent a lot of time on it, so I've moved on
> since it works in Pd-extended.  There should be a whole history of the
> discussion on pd-dev, i.e. the details of the issues.  I don't
> remember them, I'm sure it was some annoying technical details.

Since only Pd-extended is not consistent across platforms, would that be
reason enough to reconsider adapting Pd-extended to the symbol and
number box height of Pd-vanilla?

Roman

[1] http://www.romanhaefeli.net/ramsch/pdappear.tar.gz