[PD-dev] Pd without audio device (was: signal object test template for automated unit testing)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:11:26 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 22:11 +0200, katja wrote:

> By the way if Pd does not sync with an audio device for whatever
> reason, you get weird test results anyhow. Even if you do not want to
> actually hear the sound, the audio device must work well, for these
> signal object tests. That was one of the first things we observed in
> practice.

Can you elaborate on that? I used to use Pd setups without real audio
device (for instance running Pd on a server producing an Icecast stream)
and I never found anything odd. Probably it happens only under certain
circumstances? Anyway, I'm interested to hear more about it as I always
assumed that -noaudio should lead to same result as with audio (synced
to a real device).

Roman