[PD-dev] signal object test template for automated unit testing

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:23:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 22:11 +0200, katja wrote:
> Hans, thanks for your comments
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
> >
> > That looks really good on many levels. :)  I like the layout, I hadn't
> > thought of standard deviation, that makes sense as long as we can specify
> > "exact" as a possibility.  My guess is that some of this stuff should
> > produce the same bit sequence every time, but I could be wrong there.
>
> If you specify tolerance zero, that's exact. But we found that
> tolerance is needed for different reasons:
>
> - floats are stored as text by Pd, and differences between computed
> and stored values occur because of the truncated stored floats

Wouldn't it make more sense to load the reference table from some binary
format (like WAV file) instead of some textual (lossy) representation in
order not to lose any precision?

Both, [writesf~] and [soundfiler], support WAV files with 32-float bit
resolution (according to their help patches).

Roman