[PD-dev] signal object test template for automated unit testing

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 25 19:01:12 CEST 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 11:44 AM, F.J. Kraan wrote:

>>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner<hans at at.or.at

> But how do you want to create and check the test if the only
> environment the test will produce proper results is the unattended
> automatic run? If the test would fail, it would be hard to find out
> why, as the manual run would always produce a different result.

I guess I don't quite follow what you mean here.  I am thinking that
for a more elaborate test, the test patch would would run thru the IIR
filter a few times. Each iteration of the IIR filter test should
produce the same result.

This does remind me tho, the original load_every_help.py script would
load each help patch into the same instance of Pd, just continually
reusing it.  That would trigger a couple hard-to-reproduce bugs that
basically only happened when loading every help patch in a certain
order. I was focused on getting a report on each help patch, so I
changed the script to make a new Pd instance per test.  But Pd should
be able to load every help patch without crashing, so perhaps we need
a second test mode where the same Pd is reused again and again.

scarcity."        -John Gilmore