[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 26 07:15:01 CEST 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 18:36 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Pd vanilla still has different box sizes on different platforms, if I
>> remember correctly, therefore the sizes will have to change
>> somewhere.
>
> I made a little test patch and took screenshots [1]. On three
> operating
> systems (Mac OS 10.6.4, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7) I tested
> Pd-extended-0.43.1 (from autobuilds) and Pd-0.43.1test4 (from Miller's
> site).
>
> The results are contrary to what you are saying. For Pd-0.43.1test4
> the
> box sizes are consistent across all tested platforms. For
> Pd-extended-0.43.1 the number, symbol, message and object boxes are
> 2 px
> less tall on Windows than on the other platforms. Due to this, only on
> Windows number and symbol boxes have the same height in Pd-vanilla and
> Pd-extended (though message and object boxes are 2px smaller in
> Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla).
>
> On the other two platforms, Ubuntu 10.04 and OS X, number and symbol
> boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla.
>
> The hsliders, vsliders and cnvs have the exact same dimensions in
> every
> tested combination. Also is the width of number, symbol, message and
> object boxes consistent across all tested platforms and flavors.
>

>> I tried to get these changes into vanilla, but I guess Miller didn't
>> want them.
>
> Currently, it looks like they are not necessary since the situation
> looks good for Pd-vanilla.
>
>> I've already spent a lot of time on it, so I've moved on
>> since it works in Pd-extended.  There should be a whole history of
>> the
>> discussion on pd-dev, i.e. the details of the issues.  I don't
>> remember them, I'm sure it was some annoying technical details.
>
> Since only Pd-extended is not consistent across platforms, would
> that be
> reason enough to reconsider adapting Pd-extended to the symbol and
> number box height of Pd-vanilla?
>
> Roman
>
> [1] http://www.romanhaefeli.net/ramsch/pdappear.tar.gz

Ok, I think I fixed it, at least it worked on my Windows XP test VM.
Basically, the code that was supposed to fit the font into the fixed
box sizes was actually changing the box sizes.  This commit now leaves
the box sizes fixed so they are the same everywhere, then fits the
font into the box.

http://pure-data.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=pure-data/pd-extended.git;a=commit;h=25719829114893a65896daad98e64b04c39a912e

I'm guessing the different in Pd-vanilla comes from the different
fonts that are in use, but it could be something else.

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom