[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 26 19:12:32 CEST 2011

On Oct 26, 2011, at 4:39 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 01:15 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> I made a little test patch and took screenshots [1]. On three
>>> operating
>>> systems (Mac OS 10.6.4, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7) I tested
>>> Pd-extended-0.43.1 (from autobuilds) and Pd-0.43.1test4 (from
>>> Miller's
>>> site).
>>>
>>> The results are contrary to what you are saying. For Pd-0.43.1test4
>>> the
>>> box sizes are consistent across all tested platforms. For
>>> Pd-extended-0.43.1 the number, symbol, message and object boxes are
>>> 2 px
>>> less tall on Windows than on the other platforms. Due to this,
>>> only on
>>> Windows number and symbol boxes have the same height in Pd-vanilla
>>> and
>>> Pd-extended (though message and object boxes are 2px smaller in
>>> Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla).
>>>
>>> On the other two platforms, Ubuntu 10.04 and OS X, number and symbol
>>> boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla.
>>>
>>> The hsliders, vsliders and cnvs have the exact same dimensions in
>>> every
>>> tested combination. Also is the width of number, symbol, message and
>>> object boxes consistent across all tested platforms and flavors.

>>> Currently, it looks like they are not necessary since the situation
>>> looks good for Pd-vanilla.

>>> Since only Pd-extended is not consistent across platforms, would
>>> that be
>>> reason enough to reconsider adapting Pd-extended to the symbol and
>>> number box height of Pd-vanilla?
>>>
>>> Roman
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.romanhaefeli.net/ramsch/pdappear.tar.gz
>>
>> Ok, I think I fixed it, at least it worked on my Windows XP test VM.
>
> Cool!
>
> I think it's not necessary to post this to the bug tracker then,
> right?
> Let me know, if you think otherwise.

No need, its fixed. Thanks for confirming :)

>> Basically, the code that was supposed to fit the font into the fixed
>> box sizes was actually changing the box sizes.  This commit now
>> leaves
>> the box sizes fixed so they are the same everywhere, then fits the
>> font into the box.
>>
>> http://pure-data.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=pure-data/pd-extended.git;a=commit;h=25719829114893a65896daad98e64b04c39a912e
>>
>> I'm guessing the different in Pd-vanilla comes from the different
>> fonts that are in use, but it could be something else.
>
> Just to be clear here:
>
> In Pd-vanilla (0.43.1, at least) the _box sizes_ are consistent across
> all platforms. With your fix for Windows the same can be said for
> Pd-extended ;-).
>
> So after all the situation does not look that bad, I would say.
>
> Still, the remaining differences are:
>
> * The symbol and number boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in
>  Pd-vanilla.
>  I think it is not possible to adjust one or the other without
> breaking
>  backwards compatibility of the respective flavor. So either Pd-
> vanilla
>  and Pd-extended will stay different for eternity or one of them needs
>  to bite into the sour apple.
>  Since the latter only hurts once, I'd prefer to latter. And since
>  Pd-extended is a derivative of Pd-vanilla, I'd say it's Pd-extended
>  that has to bite into the sour apple. What do you think?

Pd-extended has been consistently sized since 0.39 and many people
rely on that.  I'm pretty sure that Pd-vanilla did not get consistent
box sizes until 0.43, but I could be wrong.  Here's some history on
that topic, its the wiki I used to organize the box sizing effort for
Pd-extended 0.39.

http://puredata.info/dev/GuiSizeDifferences

> * The fonts in Pd-vanilla look quite different across platforms. The
>  situation is much better in Pd-extended, especially when the aliasing
>  issue on Mac OS X will be resolved.

The aliasing is actually a bugfix.  Pd-extended uses Monaco, which is
a font designed to be not aliased.  Previously Pd-extended was scaling
it a bit, so it appeared aliased. Now it is no longer scaling the
Monaco font, so it appears in Pd-extended just like it would another
Cocoa app.  Here's a pic of Pd-extended versus Apple TextEdit: