[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Oct 27 16:03:21 CEST 2011

On Oct 27, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 13:12 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 2011, at 4:39 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
>>> * The symbol and number boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in
>>> Pd-vanilla.
>>> I think it is not possible to adjust one or the other without
>>> breaking
>>> backwards compatibility of the respective flavor. So either Pd-
>>> vanilla
>>> and Pd-extended will stay different for eternity or one of them
>>> needs
>>> to bite into the sour apple.
>>> Since the latter only hurts once, I'd prefer to latter. And since
>>> Pd-extended is a derivative of Pd-vanilla, I'd say it's Pd-extended
>>> that has to bite into the sour apple. What do you think?
>>
>> Pd-extended has been consistently sized since 0.39 and many people
>> rely on that.  I'm pretty sure that Pd-vanilla did not get consistent
>> box sizes until 0.43, but I could be wrong.  Here's some history on
>> that topic, its the wiki I used to organize the box sizing effort for
>> Pd-extended 0.39.
>>
>> http://puredata.info/dev/GuiSizeDifferences
>
> I checked again. It seems that at least since 0.36 number and symbol
> boxes have been 3 px (sorry, I was the whole time wrong with 2px) less
> tall than object boxes. It's Pd-extended who arbitrarily introduced to
> make them the same size. Also making it number and symbol boxes
> smaller
> won't likely break any existing patches, but make them uglier.
> Increasing the height will certainly break some GOP patches (as it
> does
> happen now when opening patches created in vanilla on extended).
>
> See attached picture.

As far as I can see, it looks like objects and atom boxes were the
same size in 0.34.  My point is not that Pd-extended has a consistent
size with any particular Pd-vanilla version.  There were a lot of
variations in sizes between versions, forks, and platforms.  Pd-
extended made the sizes the same for all Pd-extended versions on all
platforms.

.hc

>>> * The fonts in Pd-vanilla look quite different across platforms. The
>>> situation is much better in Pd-extended, especially when the
>>> aliasing
>>> issue on Mac OS X will be resolved.
>>

>> The aliasing is actually a bugfix.  Pd-extended uses Monaco, which is
>> a font designed to be not aliased.  Previously Pd-extended was
>> scaling
>> it a bit, so it appeared aliased. Now it is no longer scaling the
>> Monaco font, so it appears in Pd-extended just like it would another
>> Cocoa app.  Here's a pic of Pd-extended versus Apple TextEdit:
>
> I see. Thanks for the info.
>
> Roman
>
> <pd-appearance-history-windows.png>

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque