[PD-dev] gem, pdp, gridflow, pidip

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Nov 2 03:57:29 CET 2011

Wow, that effects.zip patch is simple yet quite nice.  I had some fun with that.

One possibility for using combinations of Gem, PDP, and Gridflow together is to use Syphon.  It unfortunately only Mac OS X because only that OS currently let's you easily access the graphics card like that. But basically it lets you share data between apps while keeping it on the GPU, so its very fast.  Its all open source, there is a syphonserver for Gem.  So Gem would need a syphon client, then PDP and Gridflow would need a syphon client and server.  I'm sure vade would be responsive to questions if anyone took this on.

.hc

On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:59 PM, ALAN BROOKER wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>

> I hop around from these libraries and have used all in performances at various times ...they’re all great, enthusiastic about all of them, below are just some of my opinions.
>

> PDP/PiDiP is mainly geared towards video and has some really interesting effects worth checking out- I think performance  wise PDP is very efficient and responsive. If your on Linux you have the choice of outputting content either via glx or Xvideo extension which is a nice choice.  It would be great if someone took on the PDP library as Hans mentioned, has a lot of potential- I have never seen the OpenGL extension for pdp work however.

> Obviously Mathieu is active on the mailing lists and answers questions helpfully about Gridflow where possible.   IMO Gridflow is an excellent contribution to Pure Data,  allot of potential to create unique and interesting effects that may not be possible in either Gem or PDP. I would say the only draw back is perhaps hardly any tutorials to get started for noob like me.
>

> Gem is to me is allot of fun to use and perhaps the most flexible ( can produce 3d, video and still image). I think the most potential is in the glsl/stuff which could perhaps use more documentation- but users are making interesting stuff with it (especially Guido on the pd forum)
>

> http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-6263-gem-depth-field
>
> http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-5000-collection-glsl-effects
>

> For me personally what would be great is for all of these libraries in some way to share a single output, at present there are bridges to pdp_from_gem and bridges to_gridflow_from_pdp etc....  Some work great, others are too slow and some don’t work at all. So say if you wanted to perform a piece where you have reactive 3d Gem objects and them switch to video effect using PDP and finish with some nice fractal images made with gridflow, I think this would be a real pain as they all have different output windows with varying degrees of compatibility.
>

> Like I said though they are all great , nothing I could say could do justice to how creative and interesting these packages are.
>

> best wishes
>

> al
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> Gem has both OpenGL and pixel/video operations and is well maintained.  PDP is a different, perhaps complementary, approach to video than Gem's pix.  Its not really currently maintained beyond little fixes, but its up for grabs really, if you wanted to take it on.  There is 3dp as well, which is an alpha OpenGL lib for PDP that tries to make OpenGL feel more Pd-ish.  The original dev, Tom Schouten, stopped working with Pd so it hasn't been developed really since.  I think it would be worth checking out and seeing whether it would be worth developing more.

> [...]

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick