[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-3433409 ] mrpeach/tcpclient: sends messages out of order

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 4 10:18:12 CET 2011

Bugs item #3433409, was opened at 2011-11-04 02:18
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by reduzent
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=3433409&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
When sending messages to the network, [tcpclient] does not keep the same order as messages came in through it's inlet. Attached patch illustrates the problem.

I think IOhannes once pointed out that keeping the order theoretically could be an issue with the implementation of mrpeach's [tcp*] classes. It seems to be a real-world issue now.

The same issue cannot be triggered with [mrpeach/tcpsend] and also not with [iemnet/tcpclient].

If I recall correctly, the old blocking version of  [tcpclient] did not suffer from this issue. IMHO, blocking Pd would be preferable over losing the integrity of the data stream. Even more since there is a working non-blocking implementation in iemnet.

This happens with/on:
- mrpeach/net r15702
- Pd 0.43.1test4
- Ubuntu 10.04 / 11.04