[PD-dev] getting double fixes into extra/

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Nov 10 16:26:20 CET 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 6:46 PM, katja wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>

>>> So far I have just turned float into t_float. Only when t_sample and
>>> t_float are used consistently throughout all Pd(-extended) code, it
>>> would be possible to define them differently. Meaning, there must
>>> never be an implicit or explicit t_sample<>t_float pointer cast. To
>>> check/implement this is more work than just making double-ready.
>>> Should we do it nonetheless, or leave this for a next clean-up? Or
>>> maybe I should do it for pure-data's extra's now, before submitting a
>>> patch for pure-data.git?
>>
>> I think we should submit the current changes now since they will get things building at double-precision at least.  Then further fixes can be submitted later.
>
> Ok, now done like this: whenever it's straightforward to implement
> t_sample, I do so, but in complicated cases where it's too time
> consuming I leave it for later.
>
> When doing a last check on the 'extra' objects, I ran into a problem
> with the install as done by the new build system. (Though Pd core
> works without install, the extra's do not, so a regular or local
> install must be done to test the objects.) The [pd~] object can not be
> loaded, it says:
>
> pd~: can't stat /usr/local/lib/pd/pd
>
> This seems unrelated to the double-ready code, because pure-data.git
> shows exactly the same issue when built with the new build system.
> Also, these builds both show:
>
> soundfiler_read: ../doc/sound/voice.wav: No such file or directory
>
> while the file is certainly located in /usr/local/doc/sound/ and pd is
> running from /usr/local/bin/. With local build, same problem. Using
> the old build system for a local build, these issues did never appear.
> Neither with packaged builds.
>
> All stuff in 'extra' is checked now, apart from [pd~]. So I'd suggest:
>
> - I push the changes to pd-double
> - could the old build system be brought back into pd-double, for convenience?
> - only when [pd~] is verified to work, let's submit patch for pure-data.git

Even better would be to fix the new build system.  One of the reasons I removed extra/ from Pd-extended and made it a separate library is because of the brokenness of the build system.

IOhannes, since you wrote the current build system in extra/, could you tackle this?  It doesn't work on Mac OS X, it creates .la and .lo files, but not .pd_darwin.  I also seem to remember no MinGW support.