[PD-dev] help compiling pd 0.43 on Windows 7

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:32:46 CET 2011

Gave it another try this weekend: building vanilla pd on windows.

Though I once had a pd build using makefile.mingw, this must have been
a stroke of luck, a fortunate sequence of operations which I don't
know how to reproduce. Instead, I now used the 'new build system' with
a few adaptations. These adaptations were derived from a patch file
for pd-extended by Patrice Colet and Hans Christoph Steiner. The patch
(the one for vanilla, attached, beware that it has windows style line
endings) takes care of the following:

- definition 'cc=g++' is no longer applied, and some errors triggered
by c files in the port audio section now become warnings
- pd-watchdog is disabled for Mingw
- pd~ is disabled for windows

The build was done with Mingw. Even with the patched build system it
is still a fair pain i.t.a. to build vanilla pd on windows, specially
when compared to building on Linux. A lot of .dll's and header files
must be collected and copied into the appropriate directories of the
build tree. In order to download the asio sdk one is supposed to fill
a form with all personal info's when subscribing as Steinberg third
party developer. Some .dll's and headers can be copied from a vanilla
Pd windows binary distribution. The following .dll's must be copied
from the Mingw binaries into Pd's bin/ directory, they're not in Pd
binary distributions:

- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
- libstdc++-6.dll
- libpthread-2.dll

I've not tested the build other than with the audio and midi test, as
I'm now heading for a pd-double build for windows, and for sure
there's something to fix in the audio interface files before pd-double
will work. To be continued.

Katja