[PD-dev] per-thread storage in Pd in support of pdlib - discussion?

Peter Brinkmann peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 15 04:16:17 CET 2012

Hi Miller,
Thanks for your message!

I'm afraid thread-local instances would be problematic from the point of
view of libpd:

* The most common structure of a libpd-based application involves two
threads, a GUI thread and an audio thread, where the GUI controls the Pd
engine by invoking libpd functions from its thread.  This approach would
break if Pd instances were thread local.

* In many cases, the audio thread is beyond the control of the programmer.
For instance, if you want one Pd instance per JACK client, or one Pd
instance per audio unit in iOS, then you just register a callback, and you
have no real idea which thread will ultimately invoke your callback.

* If you use libpd via its Python bindings, then your threading options are
limited due to the Global Interpreter Lock.

* libpd may also end up doing batch-processing, either by design or as a
client running under JACK's freewheel mode, which has implications for
threading.

I have a few more concerns, but these are the most important ones.  The
upshot is that libpd may run in such a wide range of settings that it's
hard to make assumptions about what kind of approach to threading is
appropriate or even available.
Cheers,
     Peter