[PD-dev] broken msgs cause Tcl traces, how to debug it?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jan 23 05:42:01 CET 2012

I've been trying to debug this really annoying issue.  The [info
complete] look in pd_readsocket was causing some drastic slowdowns on
some GUI objects like Scope~, making them unusable.  If you remove the
[info complete] bracket from pd_readsocket, there are these intermittent
Tcl stacktraces causes by messages from 'pd' to 'pd-gui' that get split
in the wrong spot.

I have found one very interesting result: the break always happens at
48k.  At least when I test with the bitmap-madness.pd patch that comes
with tclpd.  It is a good test patch because it causes heavy pd -->
pd-gui traffic.  So I've tried a bunch of things and not much really
seems to affect it:

- in configure_socket, change fconfigure -buffering to "line"
- in configure_socket, add -buffersize 500000 to fconfigure
- in s_inter.c set GUI_ALLOCCHUNK anywhere from 1k to 64k

It seemed that lowering GUI_ALLOCCHUNK did make it happen more often,
but always the break was exactly at 48k.

Anyone have any ideas?