[PD-dev] Join the compile farm (ubuntu current x64)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Jan 27 16:17:50 CET 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 2:55 PM, András Murányi wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:30, batinste <dwanafite at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> András Murányi told me that i should join the compile farm, and i think
> it could be nice to help the community. I have a Hewlett Packard Aspire
> Revo 1.6GHz Intel Atom N230, 2GB RAM running Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 64
> bit. Pd-extended compiles fine as far as i can tell, i have no
> dependencies issues. I've built it a few times since last week.
> The server has been running and online for 2 years now with minor
> unavailabilities, mainly because of my ISP's crappy modem/router.
>
> So, it's up to you :)
>

> On my Lucid, it goes like this:
> - I've created a new user called pd,
> - Perhaps a /home/pd/auto-build/ folder needs to be created,
> - The attached file (run-auto-builds) goes into /etc/cron.daily/ ,
> - and because cron is actually run by anacron, I've also added "START_HOURS_RANGE=9-24" to /etc/anacrontab in order to prevent the builds to happen at night (because they spin up the fans and that is too noisy),
> - the PATH in anacrontab may also have to be adjusted if things don't want to run.
> ...from this point the build shall happen every day - unless I've forgot something important.
> IF the build seems to happen every day, tell Hans-Cristoph Steiner and he will enable the uploads to the server. (BTW, you can also allow ssh access to the pd account on your machine later, but it's an independent task.)
>
> This is how I recollect the setup, but just tell me if you get stuck or anything unclear.
>
> Andras

hey batinste,

The more the merrier, your offer is much appreciated!  My only concern with adding people to the build farm is: how do we know that people aren't going to do malicious things, like insert virii or trojans into their Pd builds?  This may sound paranoid, but I'd like people to be able to trust the Pd-extended downloads..  I'm definitely not saying that you are not trustworthy, I'm saying that I know very little about you.  I do see that you have been posting to the pd list since 2009, so that's something.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls you." - Richard M. Stallman