[PD-dev] Fwd: per-thread storage in Pd in support of pdlib - discussion?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Feb 6 04:58:22 CET 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 12:46 AM, Peter Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>> The way I see the "editing API" is the converse of the pd-gui --> pd
>> communications: pd messages.  My approach is to do it bit by bit.  Take a
>> chunk of the current pd-gui --> pd communications and refactor into
>> something that looks like a pd message (Tcl proc calls can look the small,
>> luckily, the syntax is similar in some basic ways).
>
> Agreed.  It's pretty clear how to express most pd-->pd-gui
> communications in terms of regular messages.  The only parts I'm
> unsure about are arrays and data structures.  I sort of see a solution
> for arrays: When an array changes, send a message that consists of the
> name of the array and a pair of indices that delimit that range that
> has changed, and then the GUI can read out the relevant part of the
> array (libpd already includes an API call for that).

That makes sense to me.

> I don't really know data structures in Pd, but I suspect that a
> similar approach might work, except that we would need to add an API
> call for reading and writing data structures.
> Cheers,
>     Peter

I don't know that code much, so I don't have much to say on it.  But I do think that we can start with the easy stuff, then looking at data structures will be easier then.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin Luther King, Jr.