[PD-dev] Can anyone on windows 7 confirm TCL bug?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:11:53 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 17:57 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 17:34 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> > > I don't know - I'll e-mail one of the reporting students and see if I
> > > can find out.
> >

> > I tested with Pd-0.43.1-extended-20120201 on the same machine and it
> > does _not_ expose that behaviour. I can create new patches, save and
> > close them and re-open them without any errors.
>
> It seems the file that it complains about (tclreg12.dll) seems simply
> missing in the archive. Copying the file from the Pd-extended
> installation to <pd-install>/lib/tcl8.5/reg fixes the problem.
>
> Also it seems, that this file has been missing since the switch from
> Tcl/Tk 8.4 to 8.5 for the Windows release. pd-0.43-1test4.msw.zip
> doesn't suffer from that problem, because it is still using 8.4.
> pd-0.43-1test5.msw.zip seems to be the first Version with 8.5 and this
> version is already missing the dll file. It seems that noone really
> tested those releases on Windows 7 :-(
>
> Now, that I think more about it: If the file is _really_ missing in the
> archive, how comes that it works on Windows XP? I can't test right now,
> but could it be that this file is somehow hidden only on Win7, but not
> on WinXP? Strange.. Unfortunately, I know too little about
> Windows ... :-/

I checked again on Windows XP to understand why it is working there, but
I forgot that I was never able to run a recent 0.43 Pd version on this
box (I mentioned this before; I guess the switch was also between
0.43.1test4 and 0.43.1test5). However, the mentioned file is missing
here as well, so no, there is _no_ strange unzip-thingy going on.
However, I overlooked that the allegedly missing file actually is
bundled, but at a different location: <pd-install>\bin\tclreg12.dll.

Yo, although I don't really have a clue which file is supposed to be
located where, I was still able to help at a least a little bit.

Roman