[PD-dev] per-thread storage in Pd in support of pdlib - discussion?

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:06:01 CET 2012

So, trying to get back to the original goal of this post, how about using a
(uint)pd_context in lieu of static variables? :)

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> Le 2012-02-14 à 11:14:00, Charles Henry a écrit :
>
>  The point of the original remark is that you always lose some of your
>> potential computing power when trying to use multiple resources.
>>

> Part of the computing power has to be put on communication and
> coordination, which are essential parts of collaboration.

I think it's something like a team developing on the same codebase; 2-3
people definitely gets the job done faster than 1, partly because it is
easy to discuss your work (or in computing, synchronize). But 4, 10, or 60
people working on the same project, well that doesn't get you anything more
than the first 3.  At that point, you need to redesign into components
(whether it's your project or code).

Anywho, Peter B. mentioned that pd is being used in so many different
situations these days that you can't really make any assumptions about
synchronization at the interface level (largely due to libpd, but there are
many other projects that use the pd code base).  There's almost always two
required, real-time audio and main, and this is dealt with in many
different ways depending on the platform / situation.

Cheers,
Rich