[PD-dev] fontwidth and nogui

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 19 20:08:18 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-19 à 10:30:00, Miller Puckette a écrit :

> That it's painful doesn't make it any less funny to me.

CROC Magazine's motto was : « C'est pas parce qu'on rit que c'est drôle »,
in the sense that just because we laugh doesn't mean it's funny.

> pages to explain the considerations that went, in 1987 or early 1988,

That's the past. What do you want the future to be ?

> into the decision to arrange inlets/outlets that way but the
> circumstances were quite different from today's

There were different circumstances, but I don't think that the forces at
work and the goals are any different, when you just think about the
ability to program something (anything) with Pd. Perhaps the ambient
beliefs (zeitgeist) are different now. In any case, that's history, and Pd
has always had the opportunity to switch people to a new inlet/outlet
system with a new name... it has just never taken it. Many things are a
lot harder to change than this.

> and seeing this particular unintended consequence (and the remoteness of
> its connection with the original situation) well, I just find it
> hilarious.  I'll know never to make that particular mistake again :)

How would you ever have the opportunity of ever making that mistake
again ? I mean, apart from keeping the current meanings of [inlet] and
[outlet] instead of migrating to a new system...

Besides, why did you repeat the same design when rewriting MAX from
scratch under the name PureData ?