[PD-dev] adding an inlet and outlet to [table]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Feb 27 02:38:10 CET 2012

On Nov 1, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 03:43:48PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I just saw that Max's [table] object has an inlet and outlet on it.  You can send the position to the [table] object and it'll output the value.  Then it also has a second inlet for setting the value at that position.
>>
>> I think this interface is really nice and simple.  I looked around to find how to add these inlets and outlets to Pd's [table], but couldn't find where to do it.  Is there any reason why this is a bad idea?  Can anyone give me some pointers as to where I should add the inlets and outlet?
>
> Pd's [table] had an inlet loooooong ago. I don't know, why it was removed, but
> if needed, it's possible to wrap xlets into an abstraction.

After some probing, I figured out what the table object is:  its an instance of t_canvas/t_glist actually, with its own custom table_new() method.  That's a pretty odd situation.  I'm thinking I'll strip that out to make [table] an object in its own right, and then add inlets like [tabwrite] and an outlet like [tabread].