[PD-dev] Sporadic crashes of Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Mar 11 05:07:36 CET 2012

Le 2012-03-07 à 11:39:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

>> From the many backtraces I collected, most of them look very similar:

If the crashes vary and happen at seemingly random times, then there might
be a single bug with different manifestations. If you patch takes a very
low percentage of CPU, you may try running it with Valgrind, which might
be able to find a cause for it, usually « Invalid Write », and sometimes
might even be able to find a cause to the cause.

However, it's also possible that there are several bugs at once, who
knows...

> #2  0x00508b79 in iemnet__receiver_destroy ()
> from /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/iemnet/libiemnet.so
> #3  0x08211148 in ?? ()
> Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
> (What does the last line mean?)

Something blew the backtrace. If it happens at #0, then it's possible that
running unwanted code causes the stack to not be findable, but at #3, it's
more like the stack is findable but got damaged, possibly by writing past
the end of a C array on the stack (non-malloc).

> What can I do to help to track down the reason for those crashes? Would
> using valgrind reveal more useful information here?

If the crashes are random-looking, or otherwise mysterious, Valgrind is
always a good guess.