[PD-dev] Problem with [iemnet/tcpclient]? (was: Sporadic crashes of Pd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Mar 19 07:12:09 CET 2012

Le 2012-03-15 à 14:34:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

> I tried running it with valgrind, but then Pd doesn't crash anymore.
> Could it be, that the overhead added by valgrind makes Pd so slow, that
> it doesn't trigger anymore?

Sometimes it's because the debugged programme becomes slower ; but
sometimes it's that the debugged programme has a different
thread-switching pattern that causes it to accidentally avoid the
problem ; and sometimes it's because valgrind's malloc-patterns causes it
to accidentally avoid the problem ; and so on. This stuff can get quite
complicated.

It's not by coïncidence that computer programming language designers
really have spent a lot of time designing thorough memory-protection and
lots of thread-safety measures. It's because troubleshooting bugs is
really long and frustrating. For various reasons, memory protection is not
enforced in C/C++/ObjC, and for various reasons, thread-safety is not
enforceable (every thread-safety measure is a two-edged sword).