[PD-dev] [PD] Filter design for iPhone

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 22 06:35:53 CET 2012

Le 2012-03-22 à 00:39:00, Ed Kelly a écrit :

> I'm anxious to know what limit is reached in the coefficients of the
> filter that causes the undefined result (NaN).

I haven't seen the code, but I just want to make you notice that adding
together -Infinity and +Infinity results in a NaN ; so does subtracting
two infinities of the same sign.

So, the NaN might happen when two expressions that are supposed to
partially cancel each other, happen to both overflow, in different
directions.

There are various possible causes for NaN, but with formulas that only
involve +, - and *, the possibilities are a lot more limited.