[PD-dev] Plugins preferences (Was Re: [PD] Plugins Plugin error)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 17:46:26 CEST 2012

>________________________________

Will the plugin-plugin list itself as a plugin that can be turned on/off?  If so, that's a bad interface, because an
accidental user action can completely destroy the convenience of your plugin-- they can't turn it back on using
the interface.  (Taken from a different angle,
the user cannot benefit from the convenience of your plugin in order to install it in the first place.)  If not, then
it's not really a plugin but a core gui function and you should put it in the core gui.

>B.) should we evolve the way pd_guiprefs.tcl works in any direction?

What about augmenting/replacing guiprefs.tcl code with your interface?  Then instead of someone like

Hans having to guess at what kinds of features might be handy to add centrally to core-pd, Pd extended

can just ship with a bunch of gui-plugins (which the community can test at their leisure before they're

included), and someone like Hans then only has to guess which checkbuttons to check by default.  The

benefit is that someone like Hans doesn't have to take on responsibility for these features-- if plugin #12

has a small bug or is sluggish/confusing, author #12 has the responsibility to fix/improve it or risk it not

being a default-loaded plugin or-- if it's causing major issues-- not included in the next release.

I haven't looked at the code-- does pd_guiprefs.tcl have an interface for saving/reading gui prefs data?  If all

gui-plugins can use the same interface, then adding a plugin for, say, changing default canvas/object/wire

colors becomes really easy.

-Jonathan

>Thanks,
>
>András
>

>On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:09 AM, András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Thanks for the report!

so you mean, it pays up to wait for it, then? I'm new to 0.43, and I put the plugins in a folder in my electronic section, away from windows' standard system/user folders.