[PD-dev] converting OSCx to a template library

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Oct 19 22:29:36 CEST 2012

On 10/19/2012 08:21 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> That's good to have, please post and maintain that somewhere, like maybe in
> the 'osc' lib.  But its not yet a replacement because at the very least its
> not deployed.

i honestly dunno what you mean here.

imho, if you want to make changes to the OSCx library, you should rather
replace the externals with the patches i sent than replacing the
autoconf stuff with template/Makefile and renaming the folder
(obviously, once that is done there is exactly no reason to keep
autoconf stuff so template/Makefile (or even a stripped down version if
you think it too bloaded) is enough.
this would "deploy" those objects to all PdX-0.43 installations (if this
is what you mean by "deploy").
i figure, that the replacement patches have less bugs than the external
versions.

starting yet another library doesn't make sense to me (esp. since the 2
objects are almost 100% compatible (the only thing missing is
multicast-group support, and i wonder whether anybody uses that).

adding those patches to mrpeach/osc (if this is what you refer to as
"the 'osc' lib) is imo not a splendid idea either, as mrpeach/osc is
blissfully unaware of the transport layer. (if martin thinks
differently, he should go and add those patches)

fgmsdra
IOhannes