[PD-dev] converting OSCx to a template library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Oct 20 01:26:53 CEST 2012

On 10/19/2012 04:29 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 08:21 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> That's good to have, please post and maintain that somewhere, like maybe in
>> the 'osc' lib.  But its not yet a replacement because at the very least its
>> not deployed.
>
> i honestly dunno what you mean here.
>
> imho, if you want to make changes to the OSCx library, you should rather
> replace the externals with the patches i sent than replacing the autoconf
> stuff with template/Makefile and renaming the folder (obviously, once that is
> done there is exactly no reason to keep autoconf stuff so template/Makefile
> (or even a stripped down version if you think it too bloaded) is enough.
> this would "deploy" those objects to all PdX-0.43 installations (if this is
> what you mean by "deploy").
> i figure, that the replacement patches have less bugs than the external versions.
>
> starting yet another library doesn't make sense to me (esp. since the 2
> objects are almost 100% compatible (the only thing missing is multicast-group
> support, and i wonder whether anybody uses that).
>
> adding those patches to mrpeach/osc (if this is what you refer to as "the
> 'osc' lib) is imo not a splendid idea either, as mrpeach/osc is blissfully
> unaware of the transport layer. (if martin thinks differently, he should go
> and add those patches)

I'm not going to take on the maintenance of those patches, so just copying
them into Pd-extended is not an option.  I'm think Pd-extended should have an
'oscx' compatible library , and 'oscx' is already there, tested, etc.

If you want to write a replacement, then please do.  But for it to be truly a
replacement, it needs to be released properly, widely tested, etc.