[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-3587346 ] VgIdZIVMmnhPS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Nov 15 16:20:48 CET 2012

On 11/15/2012 09:58 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 08:16 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:open to anonymous)
>>
>> That's my way of reminding you that I think we should turn off anonymous
>> submissions. :-)
>>

> i'm aware of tyour intentions, but i don't see the point.
> spam eats energy, exactly because of people reacting like that.
> spam also eats liberty, because of inadequate countermeasures.
> i prefer to keep both liberty and energy at a maximum.
>
> but enough of that, it's taking too much energy again :-)
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes
>
> PS: and no, i don't think we should turn off anonymous submissions.

If people want to submit "anonymously", they can get a reusable sourceforge
account from one of those websites that gathers them for use.  Even if you use
the sourceforge website without logging in, they are most likely tracking you
anyway with almost as much accuracy.  So not logging in doesn't really give
you much protection of anonymity.  We could even have the standard Pd
"anonymous" submission account that anyone can use.

Having anonymous logins does make for spam, lower quality bug reports, and a
much lower chance that people will answer follow up questions.  That makes the
bug tracker much less effective and more work for us to use.