[PD-dev] clearing out "old" build system

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 20 04:44:49 CET 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 5:20 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 11/19/2012 07:33 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> The new build system will never work for MSVC,
>
> why?
> what keeps you from using autotools with msvc?
> (sure, autotools require mingw/cygwin to run the bash-script (and once you installed mingw/cygwin, installing gcc is easy enough), but whether your compiler is gcc or msvc shouldn't matter)

I have no particular objection to someone doing it, it just seems like a recipe for a lot of pain with little good reason. Sounds like you have to do a lot of crazy kludges:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2004-09/msg00061.html

in which case, I think it'll be much less work for everyone involved to maintain the MSVC builds in a separate file, just like the build systems for Rockbox, iOS, Android, etc.  Basically no one is using the autotools build that is there for iOS and Android.  I think we should remove the iOS and Android stuff from the autotools build and call libpd the official iOS and Android build system.  That's already the de facto case.