[PD-dev] no sound from bsaylor/svf~ and cyclone/svf~

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Dec 22 00:50:37 CET 2012

On Dec 21, 2012, at 6:09 PM, katja wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
>> I get the right help patch in all cases I could think of using Pd-extended 0.43.4 2012-12-19, see attached:
>
> Ah I see. I also get the right help patch but with the wrong svf~! Try
> this: start Pd, first load bsaylor/svf~, then the help patch from
> cyclone/svf~. You get cyclone's patch but with bsaylors' svf~ (with
> four inlets and one outlet), no? And the other way round is also true.
> This is what confused me. But probably this makes sense (though it is
> not the desired behaviour in all cases): once a symbol is loaded, Pd
> will not reload it. Pd does not remember the path where a symbol was
> loaded from, or does it?

Yeah, this is a bummer.  This the big problem with the namespaces as they are now.  If a binary object is loaded like [bsaylor/svf~], still claims the [svf~] name.  So in this case, [cyclone/svf~] comes first in the search path, so its normally [svf~].  But if [svf~] or [cyclone/svf~] has never been loaded, then the 'svf~' name is unclaimed.  Then when [bsaylor/svf~] is loaded, it claims [svf~].  Sad but true.

So the help patch you get is a good clue to which one actually claimed [svf~].