[PD-dev] [PD-ot] Xcode and some commands

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 14 14:16:09 CET 2013

On 2013-01-14 12:50, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> Hi all,

hi.

this is probably best targetted at pd-dev (pd-list), but anyhow...

> I'm trying to install some externals in Pd vanilla. Till now I've
> managed to install the Gem library. But now I'm trying to install
> zexy, but opening Pd with the '-lib zexy' flag from the command
> line is not enough. Trying to follow the installation guidelines of
> the library, I'm facing some problems. Trying to run
> './bootstrap.sh; ./configure; make' I get the following errors:
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 3: aclocal: command not found checking for
> gcc... no checking for cc... no checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: in
> `/Applications/Pd-0.44-0.app/Contents/Resources/extra/zexy-2.2.4/src':

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details -bash: make: command not found
>
> I have Xcode, version 4.5.2 installed in my /Applications directory
> (I've been told in the past I need to have developer tools in order
> to be able to run some commands), but that won't do the job..maybe
> it's quite obvious, but my knowledge on this is extremely limited.
> Any ideas? Obviously I have OS X. My version is 10.8.2, upgraded
> since I have quite an old laptop.

i cannot help you in detail (some other devs might be more osx-savy,
though), but i will try to give some generic hints.

it seems like your system cannot find a number of needed things, namely
- - a valid compiler (gcc)
- - a valid "make"
- - working autotools (e.g. aclocal)

at least the former two should be installed when you have XCode
properly installed. either you missed something when installing (e.g.
only copied XCode app, but forgot to run the "installer"), or you have
to add some paths to your PATH variable.
try locating the "make" binary (e.g. `find / -name make`) and add that
path to your PATH.

autotools used to come with xcode, but it seems that they are not
shipping it any longer (confirm [1]).
you might have luck using a package-manager like "fink".

fgasdrm
IOhannes

[1]
http://jsdelfino.blogspot.co.at/2012/08/autoconf-and-automake-on-mac-os-x.html