[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-3587404 ] ability to start multiple pd-guis

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:29:11 CET 2013

On Don, 2013-01-03 at 14:26 -0800, SourceForge.net wrote:
> Patches item #3587404, was opened at 2012-11-14 22:29
> Message generated for change (Comment added) made by millerpuckette
> You can respond by visiting:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=3587404&group_id=55736
>
> Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the comment thread,
> including the initial issue submission, for this request,
> not just the latest update.
> Category: puredata
> Group: None
>
> Initial Comment:
> starting with Pd-0.43, pd-gui checks whether it is already running and
> tries to reconnect to the existing one.
>
> while this is ok in some situations, it is an issue in other
> situations:
> - when starting multiple instances of Pd on different desktops (i'm
> using the xfce window manager), the new instance will automatically
> focus the desktop of the already-running instance, which makes it
> difficult to separate those instances again (assuming that each
> instance has a number of windows open on startup)
> - when using pd-gui to connect to a remote pd-core (while another
> instance of Pd is running on the same machines) is practically
> prohibited by this behaviour
>
> it would be great if one could turn of this feature (at least when
> starting from the cmdline; and esp. when a <remotehost>:<remotport> is
> given...currently there is onl a check for remotport>5400 (when
> starting without <remotehost>)

I just noticed this made into Miller's Pd and finally I can start Pd
instances in different workspaces again (i.e. new instances do not
automatically switch to the workspace anymore where the old instance is
already running).

I just want to express my satisfaction that this is finally fixed.
Thanks!

Roman