[PD-dev] [PD] libpd netreceive

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 05:16:41 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Thomas Grill <gr at grrrr.org> wrote:

> Sorry, one more note:
> In libpd, sched_tick is currently calling in the PROCESS macro in the
> context of the audio callback (in z_libpd.c).
> The function sched_tick handles all timed objects (such as metro) and
> therefore triggers all kinds of message processing downstream, where also
> memory operations commonly happen.
> In this sense, calling sys_domicrosleep at the end of PROCESS does not
> make the situation worse than it is right now.
>
> gr~~~

Why doesn't sched_tick call sys_domicrosleep then?

That function is making sleep and lock calls that I don't think should be
made in libpd's process loop verbatum - timing is handled by whatever audio
callback mechanism is using libpd and locking is handled within the
language / framework wrappers.

It looks like the meat and potatoes is the following funky guy:

(*sys_fdpoll[i].fdp_fn)(sys_fdpoll[i].fdp_ptr, sys_fdpoll[i].fdp_fd);

If this were to be utilized by libpd, we should probably create a new,
barebones method that does this polling (whatever that is...).

cheers,

Rich