[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-3609084 ] Print in menu should actually print

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 26 03:23:19 CET 2013

Bugs item #3609084, was opened at 2013-03-25 19:23
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by maxn
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=3609084&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: v0.44

Initial Comment:
I've been using Pd for quite a wile now and some oddities have become very intuitive just because I am used to it. In addition to Jamie Bullock's great user experience post http://www.jamiebullock.com/post/41281128485/the-pure-data-gui-a-ux-study I'd like to point out another problem. The "Print" Item which is found since version 0.36-1 in the menu doesn't print to a printer, but creates a postscript file instead. I consider this a bug, not a feature request because it is confusing at best and has lead to quite a few questions asked on the list. Here is how I think it should be implemented instead, which is more intuitive: 1. Make the Print menu behave just like the print in any other program. 2. Add a menu item export... where it lets you export your patch as a .pdf or a max patch. Postscript output is rather unnessecary since pdf files are usually much smaller and contain the same information wile being more userfriendly.
While this isn't critical, I'm putting it here in the bugtracker so it doesn't get forgotten. It is certainly something what should be in Pd before it reaches version 1.