[PD-dev] Gui plugins management (Was: I have 3 broken installs)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 27 21:12:11 CET 2013

On 03/26/2013 07:52 AM, András Murányi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/2013 08:46 AM, András Murányi wrote:

>>  None

>>> The plugin overwrites the original ::pd_menus::update_recentfiles_on_menu
>>> so I guess it's aiming to do something better.
>>>
>>> About the -noplugins option: yes it would be nice, and btw, I've just
>>> realised that the planned evolution of plugins-plugin to use pd::guiprefs
>>> instead of "/disabled" folders cannot be done in a plugin form but needs
>>> the mechanism to go into pd-gui.tcl
>>> This sounds like a good case to overhaul the plugin loading code a bit.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>

>>> András
>>
>> I'm happy to review patch submissions for this, the plugins handling
>> certainly
>> can be improved.  What do you have in mind?
>>
>> .hc
>>

> basically, implementing a -noplugins option, and wiring plugins preferences
> to pd::guiprefs

I think that a -noplugins flag is a no brainer, that should be included.  I'm
still on the fence about adding the ability to disable plugins via the
interface.  The model so far for installing and disabling externals, plugins,
etc. is putting them in the user-installed folder or moving them out of that
folder.  Its very simple and easy to maintain.

I have no objections for adding the possibility to allow plugin management in
a plugin, but I'm not sure about including it by default.