[PD-dev] Gui plugins management (Was: I have 3 broken installs)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 27 21:41:26 CET 2013

On 03/27/2013 01:27 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2013-03-27 21:12, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I think that a -noplugins flag is a no brainer, that should be
>> included.  I'm still on the fence about adding the ability to disable
>> plugins via the interface.  The model so far for installing and
>> disabling externals, plugins, etc. is putting them in the
>> user-installed folder or moving them out of that folder.  Its very
>> simple and easy to maintain.
>
> definitely not.
>
> i find myself cursing everytime i want to use/not use a given
> gui-plugin.
>
> moving files around is _not_ a way to configure your system. at least i
> know of no system that is configured like that; not that there *are* some
> system settings that work like that (`find /etc -type d -name "*.d") but
> those are not for user-preferences that might change today *and*
> tomorrow.
>
> also, there might be a reason why Pd-extended switched from loading all
> libraries by default to a scheme, where the user has to explicitely
> enable a given feature. taking your gui-plugins argument to PdX, we could
> have simply told the users to just move all the objects/externals they
> don't want to use to a save place (and turn off the "couldn't find"
> errors)
>
>> I have no objections for adding the possibility to allow plugin
>> management in a plugin, but I'm not sure about including it by
>> default.
>
> it's simply not possible to unload a given plugin with a plugin that is
> loaded afterwards. (at least not until all the gui-plugins implement an
> unloading mechanism).
>
> if we have the opportunity to get a built-in gui-plugins management
> instead of the  "last-files" i'm all for it (as the latter can be easily
> implemented as a plugin, unlike the former)

The plugin-management plugin can just move the plugin files itself to
disable them, so we could just make the system plugin loader ignore a folder
called DISABLED/ inside each path.  Then people can make plugin-management
plugins using that mechanism, and customize the rest however they see fit.
This would also be easy to understand for people who are just moving files
around manually.

.hc