[PD-dev] Mac Os now requiring Apple signatures on all SW !?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Fri May 10 23:20:56 CEST 2013

About OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion I've read some time ago that it would run
/ install apps from certified Apple devs only, unless the user
disables that level of security, and then it would run any app without
such restriction (which is of course not recommended). At the time I
read about that, I was considering upgrading from OSX 10.5, but the
concept of 'Apple certified developer' made me think twice.
Eventually, it made me turn towards Linux for good. Still I feel that
Pd, externals and patches should be supported for as many platforms
possible, as is tradition.

I can understand why Apple wants to raise their standard for trusted
code. In Linux world too, there's screening before one gains write
access to trusted repositories, which is obviously beneficial for
quality and security. But in Apple's case, selection rationale and
criteria will not be open to discussion, or even fully knowledgeable.
Therefore, being 'Apple certified developer' is more like being a
loyal employee than an independent software developer. Frankly, I feel
no appeal at all. Hopefully there's a way around.

Katja