[PD-dev] Mac Os now requiring Apple signatures on all SW !?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat May 11 00:50:02 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

Then the steps to override are outlined on that page.  Since it stores the
override as an exception it's minimal bother for the user.

I'm not exactly sure what I think of the Apple Developer Program.  It
provides a very minimal benefit of communicating to the user that the
binary they are attempting to run was signed by someone who has
jumped through some hoops, is probably the person they say they
are, and probably hasn't put any overtly harmful code inside the software.
But that's a long way from anything approaching meaningful security like
showing the source to anyone in the world that wants to look.  Just compare
the number of viruses and spyware coming from the app store to the
number of viruses and spyware that have ever come from Debian repositories.
While that's not an issue for Pd which has its source publicly available, just
having the signature adds credibility to the system.

If someone from the Pd community is willing to pay money to use a system
that has a broken security model, I'd at least like to see it go first toward
downloading Pd over SSL since at least we know how exactly that system
is broken and the security it does add would benefit all distributions,
not just Mac OS.

-Jonathan