[PD-dev] audio apis

Patrice Colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Tue May 21 18:38:53 CEST 2013

> >> 7) Does anyone using GNU/Linux system want to use pulse-audio with
> >> Pd? The main reason would be easy software mixing-- for example,
> >> you could watch a tutorial on youtube and get sound out of a
> >> running
> >> instance of Pd without doing any configuration whatsoever. (At
> >> least that's what Pulse Audio claims-- I haven't used it so much.)
> >>

> > It's hard to stay polite about this, for me it has never worked
> > correctly,
> > the best way to have sound always going out from audiocard on
> > linux/ubuntu is about removing pulse-audio,
> > since ever, everytime.
>
> Could you give some details here:
> * what's the most recent date you tried using Pulseaudio?

 1:1.1-0ubuntu15.2

> * what were the problems you encountered during that most recent
> time?

Sound disappearing

> * which soundcard(s)?

$ aplay -l
**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
carte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], périphérique 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], périphérique 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], périphérique 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], périphérique 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], périphérique 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], périphérique 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0

> * what level of latency were you trying to achieve?

I didn't try out latency on this sound server.

> * which Ubuntu version?

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

> I can say it functions on Debian Wheezy when using the ALSA api,
> though I haven't tested it very heavily.

Pulse has been working fine with ALSA until one day I couldn't find out what's going wrong.

 I've noticed that it was extremely difficult to set analog audio to main device instead of HDMI, the problem of sound disappearing probably come from this.

 Since I don't do audio processing actually under linux, I didn't go any further and simply removed pulse.