[PD-dev] jack dbus?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Wed May 29 10:29:05 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013, at 09:17 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> i dimly remember some discussion (on LAD, iirc) why having jack with
> d-bus enabled by default was a bad idea.
> maybe things have improved since then.
>

> >> one of the problems of Pd i see is, that all the audio backends
> >> are linked into the main binary. so if you have a binary with
> >> jack/dbus support, you *must* install jack/dbus or you will not
> >> be able to use Pd at all (even if you don't care for audio at
> >> all).

I think the situation with jack is somewhat problematic, since there are
now three variants of jack, where jack1 and jack2 both can be run as
jackd - but jack1 and jack2 do not support the same stuff, and where
jackdbus, while a form of jack2 is not operated the way jackd is.
Perhaps it is a sign of an organizational problem within the jack
community? I would really make things easier if there was only one jack.