[PD-dev] Midi overflow, when receiving Song Position Pointer (os x)

Jan Baumgart raga.raga at gmx.de
Mon Jun 3 15:18:20 CEST 2013

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a severe bug, when sending a Song Position Pointer
message (0x242 0 0) to pd.

After sending just one SPP message to pd, the status window says:
"warning: MIDI timing FIFO overflowed".

When looking at the output of [midiin] I see "242 0 0 0" repeated endlessly.

The Song Position Pointer message belongs to the System Common Messages
and has two data bytes. Pd seems to get confused with this message.
Where is the third data byte coming from?

I'm running precompiled vanilla pd-0.44-3 from puckette's site on 32-bit
intel mac (os x 10.6.8).

I have a related second question: Is there any way to receive midi
realtime messages with pd on os x? I'm trying to receive Midi Beat Clock...

cheers,
Jan