[PD-dev] jack dbus?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 00:23:53 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

> Don't we want to compare straight to ALSA to pd to JACK to ALSA,
> just with Pd running?  Having Pulse in the mix is good to measure as
> well, but I'd like to get a handle on the "JACK adds no latency" statement
> and comparing additionally with just Pd running through JACK will simplify
> that.
>
> Also, it may be helpful to add: Pd through JACK, VLC using JACK backend
> through Jack and compare it to the one using PulseAudio through JACK.

If I'm not mistaken, it was your original idea to test a setup where
all audio sources can be played together with Pd, i.e. Pd + PulseAudio
+ JACK, and compare with Pd's current default routing (plain ALSA). So
that's what I did. I'm now eager to know results from others before
further delving into it.

> Another question: what are you using to play the Youtube video?  I know the
> proprietary Flash plugin caused problems with Pulse at one point.

Flash plugin indeed (no problem with Pulse on Xubuntu). Should we
better find an HTML5 stream for the test?

[...]

Katja