[PD-dev] alsa midi device numbers

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 06:34:02 CEST 2013

I'm trying to track down a bug in my preferences dialog code for midi.

In Pd Vanilla 0.43:
If I choose Media -> Hardware-Midi it brings up a dialog

If I choose Media -> Alsa-Midi it brings up a dialog

If I choose Media -> Hardware-Midi, close the dialog, then choose
Media -> Alsa-Midi I get insane device numbers in errors to the Pd console:
couldn't open MIDI input device 2054
couldn't open MIDI output device 1836017711
opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).

I suppose to be on the safe side, for both audio and midi I should not assume that devices will be numbered contiguously from 0-n.  Still, these weird device numbers will probably cause errors.

Unfortunately I don't have a midi device so I can't test it.

-Jonathan