[PD-dev] OSX tcl/tk version

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 21:00:09 CEST 2013

Can't figure this one out:
Version: Pd 0.43.4extended
OS: Mac OSX Version 10.7.5

1) Querying the tcl version with the tcl prompt:
pdtk_post "[info patchlevel]\n"
8.5.11

2) Query OSX's wish version in a terminal:
% info patchlevel
8.5.9

3) building a ttk::notebook through Pd's tcl prompt:
toplevel .t
pack [ttk::notebook .t.n]
.t.n add [ttk::frame .t.n.f1] -text "hello"
.t.n add [ttk::frame .t.n.f2] -text "world"

You get the old "carbon" notebook that doesn't look native

4) building a ttk::notebook through OSX terminal wish prompt:
(same as above)

You get a "Tab View" as shown in Apple's HIG:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Controls/Controls.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000359-TPXREF227

Obviously I want the native "Tab View", but Pd won't give it to me.  Version 8.5.9 and
greater are supposed to hook into Cocoa for drawing native widgets.  I assume 8.5.11
is greater than 8.5.9, so why is Pd displaying old-style Carbon widgets, and how do I change that behavior?

-Jonathan