[PD-dev] remove tk scaling

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 20:38:41 CEST 2013

________________________________
 From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
To: pd-dev at iem.at
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:42 AM
Subject: Re: [PD-dev] remove tk scaling

[...]

>nevertheless, here is some discussion that backs up *not* removing the
line:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-11/056834.html

As usual matju's comment is spot on in that thread, and since ttk
widgets themselves use point sizes  then [tk scaling 1] can and does
cause the tiny fonts on Windows.

Also, have a look at the following:
From g_mycanvas.c in 0.41
-font {{%s} %d %s}

From g_mycanvas.c in 0.43:
-font {{%s} -%d %s}

That is why I see pixel exact patches across OSX, WinXP and
Debian with Pd >= 0.43, regardless of n for [tk scaling n], and why
Cyrille saw different font sizes.  The negative font size is what
guarantees pixel exact patches, not tk scaling.

This leaves us with Cyrille's report about the
"the font size of text in the main pd window" changing.  The link
to the screenshot he posted is dead, but as long as the font size
isn't abnormally sized compared to other applications I don't see
why that would be a problem.  The whole point of
 modern
geometry managers is to adjust to whatever size is needed to
accomodate the widgets and fonts associated with them.  If
Pd requires pixel-exact windows and dialogs for the gui stuff
that isn't a pixel-exact dataflow diagram (read: all the stuff
that isn't a patch) then we're doing something wrong.

-Jonathan